Tuesday 23 December 2014

Quiet pills

Several weeks will go by.
Winter will come.
I'll still be hiding in the same room
With its two large windows.

I've never been safer, never lonelier.

Hollow bricks and translucent glass will keep me warm.
You will feel alive.  They will be cold,
And happy,
For I suppose things will have changed.

The world looks different from inside.
It has shrunk, it is shrinking
And in the end I alone will remain
And it will make no difference.

But the sun was shining yesterday,
And your flowerbeds looked nice.
Were you there?                                                                                                                                           ... ... ...

Several months will go by,
And spring will come.
I'll still be peering through the keyhole
Of my bedroom door.

I've never had such a feeling of emptiness.

You will tell me about the lush trees
Or the kids playing on the lawns
And from here,
I'll be longing for change.

I cannot look at the outside.
Not anymore.
And I expect it will someday dissappear
And I'll be swallowed up by void.

But you came to visit this morning.
You left a note on the desk.
I didn't see you.
I overslept.

1 comment: